Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The differences half a world away...

Well we are getting adjusted to life in yet another culture. New Zealand is beautiful. Very similar to Vancouver Island in that it’s very green, but different kinds of plants grow here. We got over the bit of jetlag quickly and are enjoying our time here at Finlay Park Adventure Camp. Quintin and the other people here are being so helpful in getting us started. We have a whole network of people looking out for a good vehicle for us, particularly a guy here named Ian who used to do upholstery. He has offered to help us make a plain van into a campervan, we’ll just have to wait and see. Much is different over here. Let me explain some of the differences. Let’s start with breakfast. This morning in the kitchen I was surprised to see beans, like pork ‘n’ beans without the pork. To them that is a breakfast item, to be eaten, get this… on toast. Also for breakfast, pancakes and waffles are non-existent; instead it is cold breakfast like cereal and porridge, and granola, with the exception of the beans on the toast. John put peanut butter and jam on his toast and they all grimaced because to them jam and peanut butter should not be mixed. Crazy hey? Driving was another interesting difference to experience. We borrowed Quintin’s car the other day and went into Caimbridge. It really throws you for a loop when all you are used to is opposite not to mention that Quintin’s car is a standard (you try shifting with your left hand and driving with your right). John and I both drove because we both wanted to try, but I got really nervous driving in town. I was so scared that I would forget something and crash. One thing that was a funny difference is because the hands are switched when driving, the little lever that you push to signal right or left is on the opposite side and on the other side is the windshield wipers. Both of us, every corner, the windshield wipers came on, then the signal light… on a perfectly sunny day. Oops. Another difference is the intensity of the sun. Since I have my hair in braids, I currently have a lobster red scalp, take that back… a peeling, chunky scalp, I also burnt my neck and a bit of my back, when we were just out and about one afternoon. I have to make sure I call it a boot not a trunk, jandles not flip-flop’s, tog’s not swimsuit, tah not your welcome and so on. I just laugh when we are speaking the same language but I can’t understand what’s being said.

Quintin had Monday off this week so he took us on our first sight seeing trip. We went to Rotarua (row – tah – rew – ah) to see the thermal activity. There is just all kinds of geysers and boiling mud pots and sulfur lakes etc. We really enjoyed walking around and seeing it all, we also got to tour a Maori village and see a concert. These are the New Zealand natives, and it brought up a bunch of other differences between North American Natives and Kiwi Natives. For instance, the songs they sang were in harmony, songs like hymns but not in English rather than rhythmic chanting and drumming. They did a Hakka, which in their culture was traditionally used as intimidation before a battle. The hope was to scare the enemy away and avoid battle all together. It is quite intimidating. They also did a poi demonstration and some stick games. All of it was quite unique. The sounds that they use in their language are very different than any language I’ve ever heard. Wh = F and the sound whaka (smile) is used in combinations in many of the words. I can’t bring myself to say half the words or town names because they sound like I’m swearing. Oh well. After that we got to go luge-ing. It was so fun. Think luge like in Canada but instead of snow and ice, they have pavement, and instead of a sled with runners a cart with wheels. It was crazy. You are ripping down this hill on a curvy course on a little sled with wheels and a steering wheel. So fun. You go back up the hill on a chair lift and do it again! We went out for supper where I had a BLET (a BLT with egg in it) it was really good! Then we found a little natural hot stream that mixes with a cold stream and where they meet it’s really nice to swim. That was so nice. Mmmm, what a perfect ending to a good day.

Don’t worry we have worked a bit now too at this camp, so we are not being completely lazy, not completely… However the fun continues and tonight we are going out on the Kayaks to see the glow worms in a near by gorge. Sounds like fun.

3 comments:

Mel said...

John and Andrea! My first experience was almost exactly the same as yours in NZ cuz with in a few hours of my plane arriving I was at Finlay Park eating Beans on Toast. I'd describe them as alphagetties only with beans instead of letter shapped noodles. Have you also notices that they have spagetti in a can for breakfast on toast too? Did you go down that Big Slide yet? So much fun! Ohh and how about Pineapple Lumps? you tryed thoes, they were my favorite!
P.S. If you get an european car instead of a Japaneese car the indicator and window wipers will be on the same side as they are in North America........Or maybe it was the Japaneese cars have it normal.......no pretty sure it was the european cars. Like I drove a Ford Mundao wile there and it was normal.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! So exciting to find your blog and hear about all your adventures! I loved NZ and am jelous that you get to be there, while I am at home in boring Canada. Rotorua was great, did you notice the funny sulfer smell though? Make sure if you can that you get up to a place called RAGLAN. One of my absolute fav places on the north island! Miss you both! wish you all the best!

Anonymous said...

So cool that you guys have already louged, and checked out the Wai-o-tapu thermal wonderland. As to the food get them tim tams and slam them in the coffee. The glow worms look cool be prepared to bump into each other they may glow but its still pitch black outside. Vegimite is so stinking salty but you should try some Hoki poki ice cream. Make sure to go to Waihi Beach as well as hot water beach both are at the base of the Coromandel. Love you Guys take care. Oh and for cars if you can find a Turner auction they have heaps of cars for cheap.