
Alas, my birthday has come and gone once again. However this year was, I must say, a special one. Since coming to Qwanoes, I have done my best to keep my birthday a secret as we have this tradition here where on your birthday you get "Thrown". This means that about 10 people pick you up and throw you up into the air about 10 feet high and then catch you repeatedly until the song is finished. I am terrified of being thrown. This year however my birthday did not stay a secret (I still didn't get thrown, to my delight) I woke up to streamers and balloons all over my house. One balloon was a clue to a bit of a scavenger hunt. To make a long story short, by the end of my scavenger hunt I was wearing about 5 balloons, attached to my person in some way, with a plastic basin taped to my head like a hat, fully embarrassed while I sang happy birthday to myself spinning like a ballerina, with "dentures" in my mouth that make me look like I haven't brushed my teeth in 10 years (I'll post that picture later) and dancing to my rendition of a spice girls song. That was just the morning. I managed to get the afternoon off and so John took me to Victoria where we rented scooters (so much fun) I have a story to tell about that... then I got my first pedicure which was wonderful (I officially have the cleanest feet of all the staff at Qwanoes) and then we went out to dinner. What a great day!
Now my story about the scooter. Let's just say that I've never driven a motor bike or anything with a hand throttle (other than our quad or skidoo, but they are different) So the guy that rents them needs you to prove to him that you are competent and know how to drive them before he'll let you leave. So he stands about 5 feet in front of me on this little scooter and says "pull slowly towards me and then stop" I guess to prove that I can start and stop. Well...I ran him over. He never told me that I only had to turn the handle a little. I cranked it. Needless to say, he made me try
that a few more times, and after a while I did get the hang of it. I was so sure that I was going to get in an accident on my birthday because I was concentrating so hard on this scooter thing that I would forget how to drive and obey traffic laws etc. Well over all it was so much fun, I would highly recommend it, but...Start out slow!-Andrea
1 comment:
Hi I still cant believe that the trainer for the moped stood in front of the machine and asked you to accerate to get used to the throttle!? Surely you are making this up? And running over him, how cruel. Did you and jon have a fight? Anyway im sure it was only because you had never ridden one of these as you said!
And again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Could you also send me your e-mail address? I dont seem to have it.
Uncle john johnandhelenwiebe@shaw.ca
Thankyou and trust that you are feeling better?!!
Post a Comment